Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If only they would have made the 223 in 8 twist.

I bought a Predator in 223 when they first came out, 1-12 twist. Started playing around with different bullets and powders, shooting not only for groups, but also chronographing them for speed and consistency too. I settled on the 50 grain VMax and surplus WC846 powder, Winchester brass, and Reimngton7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primers. This load is running between 3350-3375 fps, less than MOA at a 100 yards, and has killed a bunch of chit. I have no desire to shoot anything else in this rifle, because it's strictly a coyote, bobcat, crow, groundhog, and anything else that needs shooting in the category.

My other Predator in 223 is also a 1-12 twist, and I bought it just in case I ever wear the other one out. It shoots 52 grain Speer HP's into little bitty groups, so I suspect that it will work if needed.

I have a Model 7 stainless 223, 20 inch barrel, with the 1-9 rate of twist. It loves Sierra 60 grain SP's, which is the heaviest bullet I've shoot thru it. I know that a lot of people shoot heavier bullets in their 223's, and use them on game far bigger than I do. I don't have much of a desire to shoot deer with my 223's, mainly because I have rifles in cartridges that I consider better for deer sized game. That's why I don't shoot heavy 223 bullets, and don't have a not of use for a 223 with a faster twist rate.

I'm not here to argue the merits of the 223 as a deer cartridge. If someone likes it, fine with me, go for it. My biggest reason for choosing the 223 is that I like to push a 50-55 grain bullet as fast as I can, while still maintaining accuracy, and use it to kill coyotes. That's why I don't consider a 1-12 rate of twist to be a hindrance for me.