Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have heard how easy it is to get turkey with a rifle.. I shot about 50 with rifles and decided to try the shotgun.. Wow, talk about easy.. As Maj. Askins said 100 years ago, no sport in killing a turkey with a swath of shot, its just short of murder.. As small bore rifle is sport... I know folks who hunt gobblers in the spring with rifles.. THAT IS TOUGH... It is legal in the states they hunt, but most us shotguns because they are so deadly.. With a rifle, you must not only get close, but shoot super accurately if you want a clean kill..

over the years of hunting turkeys with a shotgun (since 1982) i can't count the times i could have shot one with a rifle but couldn't get them close enough for my shotgun. i don't shoot past 40 yrds and prefer to get them in closer when possible. but at 100 yrds and a rifle i could have had my pick dozens of times over. in your post you mention "you must not only get close" what kind of rifle/caliber are you using that requires them to have to be so close? if you are head shooting only then yea i could see where that could be challenging. i assume when using a rifle that shooting in the vitals is an option.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!