First Aid was mentioned on another thread. Got me to thinking about where First Aid training has been heading.

I was first certified in First Aid in the fall of '74. It was two hours per week for six weeks. The course covered birthing, tracheotomy, pressure bandages, splints, sucking chest wounds, tourniquets, (when to use AND when not to) etc, etc.

I continued to keep certified with Red Cross classes for the next three decades and watched as the training devolved into "tell the victim to keep pressure on the wound and call 911) though they did continue with proper CPR training. Hell, that was years before I even considered the purchase of a cell phone, nor at that time did I spend much time where a cell would have gotten any reception. The places where an accident was likely to happen, farming, riding for cattle, cutting wood, and hunting certainly had no reception.

The last dozen years, my recerts have been limited to CPR which now includes hands only CPR and defib operation. Defib....good, hands only.....not so much IMHO.

Guess we are all supposed to be good little sheep and wait for the "good shepards" to come rescue us.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.