Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rickt300
I hunt several states every year, usually Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming and Colorado depending on where I draw a tag. I do a lot of hog hunting at night which is under 100 yard shooting. I hunt timber generally for deer where 100 yards is still a pretty long shot. In fact a shotgun with buckshot would work for half of my deer hunting in Texas. Oklahoma is a bit different, more open but still a long shot would be 250 yards. I have fast rifles also but tend to use them where they are appropriate like antelope or open country elk. I like the Whelen for a lot of elk hunting but have a 300 Win mag for the really long shots which to me is out to 450 yards.

If you've actually hunted antelope in Wyoming and Colorado, then you know the answer to your OP.

I have hunted Antelope in Wyoming and used 270 and 30-06 rifles. Those rifles not being the endall as to velocity sure seemed good enough for the job. Typically I hunted around Sarasota, south of Superior and near Farson. I have found that 3000 fps works very well for long shots with a properly shaped bullet.

Last edited by rickt300; 10/15/17.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]