Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Originally Posted by JeffG
Try 75g V-max in your 250, and give away your 243's

Will do! They're not too long? I've heard anything over .95 in length become unstable in the .250?

Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Originally Posted by JeffG
Try 75g V-max in your 250, and give away your 243's

Will do! They're not too long? I've heard anything over .95 in length become unstable in the .250?

You sure you don't mean .75"? .95" would make for a looong .25 bullet. A couple sample Sierra 100gr. spitzers I have on hand mic out at an RCH longer than that and I know for a fact that it's a waste of time trying to make them work in an old .250.

As for the diameter of S&B bullets, you should find them to be correct with .227-.228. I never saw any different, and I occasionally bought them to pull the bullets for use in my handloads, dumping the heavy powder charge in the process and recycling the unfired brass. God I dislike hot factory S&B .22HP ammo.

Shotgun patterns with S&B ammo? As said above, ditch that stuff and work up some sane handloads. I've found 23 grains 3031 or 24 grains H-4895 to be well nigh a universal load with any 70 grain .227-.228 bullet of .750 length or shorter. I bump up those charges by1-2 grains for a little extra oomph for hunting cartridges with the loss of a little accuracy and case life.

Just yesterday I had to file the bottom of a Lyman 30 1/2 staff (same staff as in a #2) to correct the zero of my custom 1899H. Previously I had it sighted to hit the center of a 6" bullseye with a 6 o'clock hold, which is ok for target shooting/load testing but not when I want to hit precisely at the top of the sight blade when hunting. The tang sight staff was bottomed out (and no 1/16" stop pin sticking down either), so out came the file. (Yes, I carry a fairly comprehensive tool kit in my range box.)

After all that work (well, all that fun) I swapped out the .22HP barrel for the .303 barrel I have fitted to the set. Sure as shooting, it printed a satisfying 1 1/2" group at the 100 yards (28gr. 3031/190 fn cast bullet)-- but 7" high. Grrr. Now I'm faced with taking even more off the bottom of that staff to zero the .303 barrel which will put the HP barrel shooting waaaay low, or finagling the front sight which would be the sane approach. I ultimately want to show up at camp with the choice of hunting with either barrel as the mood strikes, and watch the astonished looks on the rubes faces when I pull off that trick! (And having to re-sight in after doing so would detract from the "magic"!)

THanks for sharing, Greg. I'm learning a lot of from all of you!
Yes, hand loading is the way to go on any rifle IMHO.

Yes, I meant .75, not .95.