1. UPS told me that the S&W 624 was stolen, it was scanned in at a distribution center somewhere in the Chicago metro area and was never scanned again. It either vanished into thin air or it was stolen.

2. I sent the 624 to S&W to be engraved. It was subsequently engraved, I paid for the engraving, and S&W shipped it back to me via UPS Ground, this was prior to UPS requiring handguns to be shipped next or 2nd day. I specifically directed S&W to insure it for a specific amount, say $1,200, and noted that I would pay for the additional insurance coverage when they returned it. For whatever reason, S&W chose not to follow my directions and shipped it without insurance. After a period on unpleasantness, they finally agreed to compensate me for the lost/stolen 624 with a new 629 Hunter and after another round of unpleasantness, agree to duplicate the engraving that I had paid for on the lost/stolen 624. All in all a miserable experience that has led me to forego the purchase of any new S&W firearms since then.

3. My experience with common carriers has been that if an item that has been misrepresented is lost or damaged during shipping, the shipper will have a hard time getting the common carrier to reimburse him/her for the loss or damage even if the shipper paid for an appropriate amount of insurance. For example, I bought an Interarms Mark X mannlicher style stock from a dealer in NJ. The seller shipped it and described it as a "wooden handle". It was broken while in transit, the box was crushed, and I refused to accept it when I happened to catch the UPS driver when he was making the delivery. The shipper told me that UPS wouldn't settle his claim for $175 because the description of the item misrepresented what was actually sent. Perhaps it was just a matter of semantics, but the seller told me that he never got reimbursed and I had to file a claim with my CC to get reimbursed by the seller. IMO, unless a person is purposefully trying to hide something, full and accurate disclosure is always the best policy.

4. The theft of the S&W 624 and reimbursement for a misrepresented item that is lost or damaged are two different issues, both of which I have experienced.

EDIT: When I ship a firearm, I ship it to the EXACT name and address that is on the receiving dealer's FFL.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 10/17/17. Reason: Added what I'd forgotten to post originally