Originally Posted by 007FJ
What N2 does is not vary by temperature as much due to being an inert gas. It doesn't do any other magic besides that really. I use N2 in my fast cars just because I have a bottle. I carry a nice ViAir compressor for the FJ 4x4 type stuff. What the off road guys use a lot is CO2 because it has more volume for the tank size.

Lots of reading to do on the FJ Cruiser Forum on airing up after rock crawling if you are really interested. The Jeep Forums and Pirate too have a lot of threads.

Totally false.

Avogadro's Hypothesis

Avogadro's hypothesis states that two samples of gas of equal volume, at the same temperature and pressure, contain the same number of molecules. Avogadro's hypothesis allows chemists to predict the behavior of ideal gasses. Amedeo Avogadro made the hypothesis in 1811 in an essay submitted to Journal de Physique. Elaborating on this hypothesis, he asserted the volume of a gas is not dependent on the size or mass of the molecules of the gas. Avogadro's hypothesis was applied in Avogadro's law to show that the volume of a gas (V) is equal to a constant (k) times the number of moles of gas (n), or V=kn.

Or perhaps more simply,
What is the Avogadro's law?
Avogadro's law (sometimes referred to as Avogadro's hypothesis or Avogadro's principle) is an experimental gas law relating volume of a gas to the amount of substance of gas present. ... Avogadro's law states that, "equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules".

Originally Posted by Oheremicus
When I bought my last set of tires for my Ram 2500, I did so at Costco. They filled them with nitrogen which they do as a standard, no charge practice. The only practical advantage is that in really cold weather, you don't loose as much air pressure. Pretty important when carrying a truck camper and towing a Jeep in below zero weather. There is also the fact that nitrogen doesn't oxidize nearly as readily as oxygen. For whatever that might be worth.
I no longer hunt places with really cold temperatures so I don't concern myself with this. E

Quite possible. Your tires might last a few weeks longer with no Oxygen inside.

Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Nitrogen is dry compared to compressed air. Moist air expands and contracts more than dry air.

Absolutely. A tire filled with pure water vapor would not stay inflated very long. Hopefully the tire store has an inline dryer on their air compressor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.