Also noticed when cruising Zillow that some homes state they are out of the flood plain. How much of an issue is that and is it a deal breaker on some homes? Obviously homes are way less expensive there than in the valley. Basically looking for local knowledge and tips a westsider may not think of. I understand the weather to a certain extent but not totally.

I would avoid any flood plain. It might not flood for 50 years but it has in the past and someday will again. This last winter, we had a LOT of snow that flooded areas that hadn't flooded in 100 years or more. Insurance rates will be higher or might not cover flood damage unless you pay separately for flood insurance. If you have a choice, stay out of one.

Burns is in the high desert. It will be very dry in the summer. It could go several months with no rain at all. If you have a lawn or garden, it will need watering, maybe a lot of watering. If you're on city water, it could get expensive if Burns' city water prices are as high as some places I've seen.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.