I In the past year I have seen some 581's in different gun shops the prices have ranged from $95 for a beater to $175 for a really nice one (near NIB condition, so there is not much value in the one you have - I would think anywhere from $125 to $150.

Iambrb - for the safety problem take a look at the trigger housing, it is a cheap piece of cast aluminum, almost like a pot metal of some sort.
The trigger housing is held in place by a roll pin and the trigger is snugged against the action by a small screw at the front of the pot metal trigger housing, quite often this housing is cracked where it makes a 90 degree transition from the large part of the housing to the extended portion that holes the screw used to snug the trigger to the action.

My description is about as clear as mud when reading it but as soon as you look at the housing you will see what I am trying to describe.

If the housing is cracked let me know and I will describe a fix that I used on one that worked out well. Triggers for the 581's are scarce as hens teeth and the only option is a Timney Rem 788 trigger and if I recall correctly it takes a little modifying to get it to fit the 581.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.