Saddlesore,

I know what you're saying about the full pack-in two week trips. Had to give them up about ten years ago. Two weeks in the high & thin, sleeping on cots and hiking "x" miles a day got to be more than I could handle. I just got off the phone with one of my hunting buddies and he said that this is the best year ever. Ten hunters took ten elk, six bulls and four cows. They were hunting between 8,500' and 10,000' with 10"-12" of snow on the ground. A herd of about 200 elk was in the area and wanted to stay put so they took advantage of them. Only had one wreck. They were packing out a 6X6 bull when the pack horse lost his footing on a steep and slippery slope, rolled and ended up on his back with all four feet in the air . Had the pack saddle with two rear quarters on him and the head strapped, tines up, on a cross pole. He said the horse fought like crazy for a minute and then closed his eyes and just laid there. Cut the cinch strap and rolled him over and reloaded him -- Ah, the good old days.

Anyway, try a peep sight on that scope killer. Got one on my cross-sticks rifle and its not that bad...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie