Originally Posted by JamesJr
I will usually run new brass just far enough in the die to put the expanding ball thru the neck, then always chamfer the inside and outside of the neck.

That's what I do, if need be. I saw it described in The Big Book of Gun Gack. The theory is that the case oughta be at SAAMI specs from the get-go, and one only need touch-up any dented or out-of-round necks. FL resizing is an unneeded extra step, that would just work-harden the brass.

Then again, I anneal most of my brand new brass, before uniforming the necks, so I could just be talking outa my [rectum] on wasted steps. laugh Again, the Gack book mentioned that brass is occasionally annealed incorrectly at the factory, and annealing it before it's 1st use might offer more benefit than the slight risk of softening the brass.

Now, I have just recently ponied-up for some Nosler brass in a couple of chamberings, and the necks looked good enough to run as-is. However, I did chamfer the inside of the necks, even though the box claimed they'd already been done. I didn't anneal them, either, so I guess we'll see if the universe implodes when I take them to the range today for their first go-'round.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC