I grew up in the Columbia bottoms of southeast Texas. The geographical area southwest of Houston along the Brazos and Colorado river bottoms. This unique area of planet earth is one of the souths hardwood only forest regions. Comprised primarily of Oaks, Pecan, Ash, and Elms, this is Squirrel heaven.
My mentors were from "the great generation " who were farmers, ranchers, and migrants that came to work the petrochemical industry. I loved these men and loved their stories. One thing that they talked about more than any subject was the Great Depression. They said "if it weren't for rabbits, squirrel and greens we would have starved." The most common firearms in camp was a 12 gauge. Didn't matter if it was deer camp, duck camp or squirrel camp ...12 gauge.The reason was because that was the only firearm many of them owned. The timber in the bottoms is not tall like the piney woods to the east but was covered solid with palmetto's, which restricted movement and made shots sometimes long.
I ran across and purchased a 1958 model 12 Winchester, new in the box, unassembled, cosmolene still on the bolt. My 60th birthday is going to be May 9th 2018, on which I will assemble this treasure and go Squirrel hunting. As I ease into the green bottoms I will reminisce of the days of my youth,my mentors and those that had to leave early.