Originally Posted by Robster
Great thread. Great story Vic, thanks for sharing.

Dirtfarmer, I love your Contender. I hunt rabbits with the same, just in the Encore platform.

My 12 gauge heirloom is a Mossberg 500. Back when I first got married I didn't have two nickels to rub together. I moved to upstate NY and at 23 found myself in shotgun country for deer. I only had a 30-30 Winchester and scoured the local gunshow for a cheap shotgun to use for deer season. paid $115 for a Mossberg 500 pump with a slug barrel and another $20 to a friend for a bird barrel for it. My neighbor took me under his wing and taught me about hound hunting and I used that gun for deer as well as all the hound hunting we did. Rabbit with beagles, fox and coyote with hounds. That was the only gun I used for YEARS!!!!

Fast forward and my son wants to use my shotgun for deer as I now use a revolver or Thompson Encore. He loves the history of the gun and has at this point taken 3 deer with that gun. Makes my heart warm to see him want to use his old mans gun and continue the tradition. I am still running beagles and he has taken a handful of cottontails and a snowshoe hare over them with it in addition to the squirrels he has taken with our Black Mouth Cur.

I enjoyed reading that.

Black Mouth Cur caught my attention. Down here we have the Catahoula cur and I've heard the old timers say those with a black mouth were the smartest. These curs have glass eyes or sometimes one glass eye, are often brindle colored. Tell us about your cur.

DF