JB (if I may call you that) At what point does one qualify to be a Rifle Looney? I thought of these things when reading the Gun Gack thread. Does one assume the title when he buys 1, 2, or more rifles that he doesn't "need"? Or can one be a Looney if he/she just desires those rifles he doesn't need (in the legal sense)? I consider myself to be Rifle Looney, even though some might not. I have several rifles that I have absolutely no true need for, but couldn't live without. But, before I was 10 yrs. old, I would read Outdoor Life and the stories of Jack O'Connor and others. I bought Shooting Times and Guns and Ammo (some of you remember, the mags that once wrote about guns without black stocks) with the money I made mowing yards and odd jobs. I always wanted a 270 Win because of what he wrote about it. Later, even though I killed a number of deer with the 270 and still have 2 around the house, I was not as enamored by it as he was. One rifle that intrigued me, even though every gun writer could not write about it without mentioning it was a real barrel burner, and that is the 264 Win Mag. And here I am almost 50 yrs. later, and I have a Hawkeye in that magical caliber. Haven't hunted with it yet, might never. And this week bought a Ruger #1 in a 22/250 which I have thought and thought about and cannot come up with any logical reason to own a 22/250, but here it sits.

Am I a Looney, and if so, when did I become one? When I had the desire and read everything I could get hold of about centerfire rifles? Or when I was able to see some of my dreams come to fruition? And I would be interested in knowing if anyone else dreamed about a certain firearm or caliber when they were kids and then later in life able to realize the object of those dreams?