Looking back, I can pinpoint the first outbreak of my loonyism. Growing up in the rural South where 'shotguns and dogs' was the traditional and accepted method for deer hunting, I knew no one that owned or used a dedicated deer rifle. We had 22 rifles for plinking and the small stuff and shotguns for everything else.

In the mid 60s when I was still in my early teens, I saw a picture of a new product from Remington in an outdoor magazine. It was a M600 Remington. I knew nothing about rifles, but for some reason I KNEW I had to have one. It would be many years before I could buy one, but eventually I did. I have owned, and still own, many rifles and more than my share of M600s, but that first affliction can be traced directly to that ad for the M600. My friends looked at me as if I was 'loony' when I talked abut the M600 and other centerfires. Their ultimate goal in life was to get a new Remington M1100......

I am a Rifle Loony! I have little regard for shotguns or handguns, using them only when a rifle absolutely cannot be made to do the job properly.

As a follow up, I walked into a local BBQ restaurant a few years ago that had old signs and advertisements plastered all over the walls. Just inside the door was an original poster, about 18"X24", of the first M600 ad(complete with vent rib and 35 Rem, 222, 6mm, etc., calibers). Apparently, it was used to post in gun and outdoor stores back then. I tried everything in my power to buy that poster, but they wouldn't even consider it.

Last edited by Hook; 11/21/17.