Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would definitely consider Berger Hunting VLD's, especially started at not more than 2800 fps. Unlike most bullets, they penetrate 2-3" before expanding, then pretty much come apart, killing quickly but not ricocheting even if they do exit.

Hanco's mixed experiences with VLD's us due to what too many hunters (especially more "mature" hunters) do with relatively easy-expanding, long-range bullets. They think that any long-range bullet should be started at high velocity, then are disappointed (or worse) when the bullets fail to penetrate enough at close range. But one of the major advantages of such bullets is they DON'T need to be started at 3000+ fps to work at long range, and at more moderate muzzle velocities work well at short ranges too.

I'll ad this... 185 bergers, 308 Win, I doubt we hit 2600 FPS MV, expand right nicely out to about 725 yards so far... And don't blow up at 75 yards. Though they still make larger exits than I care for, but they do work.

You do have to have a bit of knowledge when you start messing with "non normal" bullets. Those that have issues with VLDs can often have issues with mono bullets too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....