Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would definitely consider Berger Hunting VLD's, especially started at not more than 2800 fps. Unlike most bullets, they penetrate 2-3" before expanding, then pretty much come apart, killing quickly but not ricocheting even if they do exit.

Hanco's mixed experiences with VLD's us due to what too many hunters (especially more "mature" hunters) do with relatively easy-expanding, long-range bullets. They think that any long-range bullet should be started at high velocity, then are disappointed (or worse) when the bullets fail to penetrate enough at close range. But one of the major advantages of such bullets is they DON'T need to be started at 3000+ fps to work at long range, and at more moderate muzzle velocities work well at short ranges too.

On the Hunt I was able to make in TX we had a mix of terrain and were allowed to hunt 24/7. Nights were tree stands or elevated box houses. Most of that was in thick cover and was short range work. I took my 30-06 and had purposely loaded Bergers at 2500 fps for the night shots in close with green LED lights for fast follow up second shots. (This predated the thermal and night vision equipment coming down in price) My shots were close and my hogs were DRT. Example of 3.

For the day time we had long shots overlooking huge fields (Half mile if you wanted to take it) and those were conducted with 2850 fps standard loads. Again, very nice performance at longer ranges with the Bergers.

Plenty of the 65 pigs killed on that trip were shot with CoreLock ammo by the 7 other hunters. (Hogs are not bullet proof, a number were killed, when jumped in the tall grass sneaking, with auto shotguns and #4 buckshot)

One member of the party had sprung for a Night Vision optic and mounted it on a 243 bolt action rem 700. He used Rem Core Lock factory ammo and killed a pile with that combo in the dark.

Good luck getting the numbers down. Agree on the 300BOsub sonic supressed. Low noise is better if you have a large number of hogs to deal with.
The last ones are going to be pretty smart by the time you get to them.........

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......