I'm going to make post something that some, if not most, of you will take exception to. The majority of hunters who are looking for antlers are not the least bit interested in the meat. Now, with that being said, there are meat hunters who are glad to get a chance at a big buck, and are tickled pink to have a nice set of antlers. I'm not crazy about venison, it's something I can take or leave. Fixed right, it's good. Not done right, and it's not for me. If I'm going to shoot a deer to eat, and I have a bunch of times, I'll pick out a doe. I've ate both bucks and does, and as far as I'm concerned, there is a big difference. I have a local family that asks me to shoot them a deer every year. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I gave them the old buck I shot this year, and they didn't seem to care that he was an old deer. I like jerky and backstrap, and I've been tempted to shoot a doe for that, but probably won't as the local Mennonites have already killed more than they should have.

My point is that too many hunters have been bitten by the "what will he score" bug, and are far more interested in the B&C score than in how good of eating the deer will be. Used to be, years ago, deer hunters would talk about seeing a "nice" buck, or say they'd seen "ole Moses". Now it's a "150 class", or a "170 class", as they've been watching too many episodes of Buckmasters, or those good looking gals shooting high fence deer on Outdoor Channel.