Originally Posted by StudDuck
Seriously, no sarcasm intended, I'm trying to learn here.....

Without the micrometer, there is an adjustment screw on top of the seating die correct? If so, is there a correlation between a .25 turn in the adjustment screw and seating the bullet .015" deeper? (Just using this as an example) because if I'm understanding this correctly, without a micrometer, there would seem to be a lot of "back-and-forth" involved between adjusting and measuring and adjusting and measuring again, rather than setting the micrometer only once to seat the bullet at the desired depth and measuring only once to confirm the desired result.

Newby too but as I understand it yes. I'm fairly sure that the micrometer die can be zeroed out at the exact length necessary to contact the lands. At that point you can accurately adjust exactly how far off you are using the micrometer.

In my case however it really isn't as useful as it might seem. I can't reach the lands anyway except in one rifle I own and still fit the round inside the mag box. I could have spent the money on micrometer dies on those 4 rifles I load for and it wouldn't help at all because all I can do is measure the mag box and go from there. It just so happens that those rifles aren't real picky about COAL,so I just go with SAAMI recommended max,it fits my mag box and produces good groups. I don't have the option to play with 10 thousandths to 40 thousandths off the lands to see what works best,so I think the micrometer would have been a waste.