Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I shot my buck this year at maybe 20 yards. High forward quartering away shot. Held about 3" from the top of his neck so as to anchor him right there. At the shot his azz collapsed and he went down.

I reloaded, put the gun back on him and watched. He was blinking so I knew he was alive but he never could quite get his running gear underneath him. Less than a minute later I watched his body relax but still kept the gun on him for a bit longer. Some of the fastest kills I have seen also have had a deer jump up and run like a scalded dog.

Watch this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1i2FlY-9Sw

Wow, cool video.

I'm a believer in that you keep shooting 'til the deer is down. Once, years ago, I heard 5 shots from my son's direction. I then heard a cross between a rebel yell and a victory yell.

I texted my wife the boy must have gotten one 'cuz I heard 5 shots from his direction and could hear him yelling 600 yards away.

As I walked over to him she sent a text back asking how many of the 5 shots he hit the deer with. After looking at the deer, I replied back, "ALL 5!"

That buck henceforth became known in our household as the "Swiss Cheese Buck."

When I asked him why he kept shooting, his reply was simple enough, "Well, dad, it was still standing." Works for me.