Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I shot my buck this year at maybe 20 yards. High forward quartering away shot. Held about 3" from the top of his neck so as to anchor him right there. At the shot his azz collapsed and he went down.

I reloaded, put the gun back on him and watched. He was blinking so I knew he was alive but he never could quite get his running gear underneath him. Less than a minute later I watched his body relax but still kept the gun on him for a bit longer. Some of the fastest kills I have seen also have had a deer jump up and run like a scalded dog.

Watch this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1i2FlY-9Sw

My PaPaw taught me when I was a kid, that you always walked up behind the deer, take your gun barrel and reach in and nuzzle his nuts (this was before we had a doe season and in my family you just didn't outlaw). PaPaw explained that if there was any life left in him, that would bring him back...lol. I've done that to every buck I have ever killed and have taught my son the same lesson. But now, I also approach a doe from behind and poke her somewhere in the rear to see if she moves any. I've watched people who walk in front of the deer and poke them from the front...and this video is a good reason to never do that!