1. I carry 124 grain standard pressure Gold Dots, but I reload using 115 grain bullets because it is cheaper. The 124 grain bullet appears to be the most common bullet used for self-defense, in both standard pressure and +P loadings.

2. I have both a 26 and a 43. I consider the 43 to be more of a niche gun and the 26 to be more of an all-arounder. They both shoot well, although the 26 is much easier. I carry the 43 only when I need maximum concealment or for pocket carry. The 26 can work for almost any occasion, because I can use 15, 17 and 33 round factory magazines in it or as spares, which makes the gun very versatile. (Test that in your gun before using.) They also make 12 round factory and Pmags for the gun with some pinky extensions. (I don’t use pinky extensions or adapters on larger magazines.) I carried the 26 while hiking, 4 wheeling and bowhunting this year, something I would not do with the 43 unless I had no other gun.

One thing to note on the 43 is that some people with large hands have been known to push the slide stop lever upwards while firing, causing the slide to lock while the magazine has ammunition. I also know some 1911 fans (who run full size Glocks just fine) who have depressed the slide stop lever while firing, resulting in the slide not locking back when the magazine is empty.

3. I can’t really comment on other guns other than to say that my friends who own S&W Shields are happy with them.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln