Originally Posted by okie john
After having been through most of the Glock catalog, I carry a G19 most of the time with a G43 for times that the G19 is too big. Here's what I've learned:
1. The G26 has most of the drawbacks of the G43 and most of the drawbacks of the G19.
2. The G19 conceals as well as a G26 and I shoot it as well as a G17.
3. The G26/G43 are slower to reload than the larger Glocks. The magazines do not fall free on reloads, so I plan to strip the magazine out of both of them during reloads.
4. The G26/G43 are both very accurate in slow fire, but are much harder to shoot well quickly than larger pistols.

In the Larry Vickers video review of the G43, one of the first things he says is basically, "The G43 is good for some things, but carry a G19 if you possibly can." I'd have to say that I agree.

Okie John

TRB696,

Listen to and consider what okie john is saying here, because I think he’s spot on…and that covers Glock pistols.

I will chime in on carry modes and holsters….

The big problem I see, you didn’t state how you intend to carry said pistol.

To me, the G26 is too chunky for pocket carry. The G43 is about as big as you can get for a pocket carry pistol (and many can’t even pocket carry that). So with that thought, you’re probably looking at (or should consider) hip carry. If you’re going to hip carry, then I’m not sure I’d be looking at the G26. Just like okie john, the G26 seems to fit into no usable category (for me at least).

Carry mode – IWB (Inside Waist Band) or OWB (Outisde Waist Band)… you should look into this and determine which is best for you.

IWB – This is my preferred carry mode. It conceals much better than OWB (IMO), and generally holds the pistol more securely. With a proper IWB holster, you typically can carry a full sized pistol fully concealed with ease. If carrying an IWB then I would most certainly be looking at the G19 or G17, and forget about the G26. At 6’2” 245lbs you’re almost exactly the same size as I am, and I have NO problem at all carrying a full sized pistol in an IWB. The “compact” pistols in the G19 size are just plain perfect in an IWB holster. You can conceal even a full sized pistol with just an un-tucked t-shirt when carrying IWB.

IWB – The negatives: It takes some getting used to, and there are a good number of people who try it, hate it, and never do it again. During hot weather it can bring moisture from your body onto the pistol (but only if you carry in a crappy holster). And if you have grips with an aggressive texture, that texture will be rubbing against your side. There may be some other negatives, but I can’t think of them right now.

OWB – Positives: Typically very comfortable. Keeps moisture away from your pistol, and keeps your pistol away from your skin. When carrying OWB this is when I like the compact & sub-compact pistols and I like them in a high ride rig that gets the pistol as high above the belt as possible because it maximizes concealability. Pistols like the Shield, G43, Kahr CT9 & CT45, etc… are just idea for a high ride OWB. Those are all compact/sub-compact pistols, but in the right high ride OWB you can carry something like a G19 just fine.

OWB – Negatives: You’ll always have to wear an over-shirt/jacket, or some extra layer to cover it all up. Some can conceal a sub-compact pistol with just an un-tucked t-shirt while carrying OWB, but that’s more the exception than the rule. Generally speaking, you’ll find yourself carrying smaller pistols rather than full sized pistols (I personally think of the G19 as a full size even though most call it a “compact”).

Keep in mind…A carry gun should first be comforting, then comfortable.

Me – A somewhat famous gun writer convinced me to carry what he called a “real fighting gun” in an IWB. He said, “just do it, get yourself used to it, and you’ll never regret it”. And he was right. For most of my life I have been carrying a Browning Hi Power or a Lightweight Commander. These days I carry a CZ P07 which is the same size as a G19 (actually fits in a G19 holster, and CZ actually made it to take the exact same holster as a G19; which means LOTS of holster options), so you can see I’m 100% on board with okie john’s recommendation for the G19. If I find myself in a fight, I want a pistol with decent capacity that is large enough for me to get all fingers on the grip, which is a big aid to good shooting under stress.

Last piece of advice – Don’t go cheap on the holster.

When a pistol is a burden to carry, often it gets left behind…

I have literally seen more than one guy put a $3,500.00 custom pistol into a $29 Uncle Mikes belt clip holster…that’s a crime.
Seriously though, if you put a very small pistol into a cheap holster, it can make that pistol feel like a boat anchor. On the other hand, if you put a full sized pistol into a straight up world class holster you’ll find you can carry all day long and not be worn out at the end of the day.
Something in the size/weight class of a G19, there shouldn’t be any reason why a guy can’t carry one all day long without undue fatigue. If you have a world class holster, you just don’t mind carrying a real gun at all.
Some of my favorites (sorry mine are all IWB):
HBE Com III
Milt Sparks Versa Max II
Mitch Rosen ARG
El Paso Saddelry C-Force

HBE Leatherworks is my absolute favorite holster maker, but I have holsters from others as well:

Here’s my HBE Leatherworks Com III for my CZ P07
[Linked Image]

HBE Leatherworks Com III for my 1911
[Linked Image]

Milt Sparks Versa Max II for LW Commander / Hi Power
[Linked Image]