Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[quote=Ole_270] ... The 400's were even less popular and supposedly were prone to the rear ends going out.

I had never heard that about the 400s. I do know that it became a problem with the 560s. The rear end in them was essentially unchanged from the Ms and even the Hs. When they tried to make the 560 a 5-plow tractor, the rear end was not up to it. There was a retrofit that was available for the 560s. If a 560 has had the retrofit, it should have a triangle stamped onto the ID plate.

I used a 560 a lot growing up and we never had a problem with the rear end. My cousin drove the 460 and I drove the 560...then we got an 856. The 560 diesel was great until the head warped. My Uncle never could get the thing right again after that despite planing it multiple times. I guess that was a thing with them. To me the 560's bridged a gap between what I'd consider antique/primitive tractors like the M's and modern ones like the 856. The next big step up was an actual usable, comfortable cab such as those found on the 1086, which was our next tractor.