I know almost zero about moose hunting so i thought i would bounce this off the folks on here.

I went on a moose hunt last year north of Ft St James sept 19th -26. I paid the outfitters higher price to hunt during the rut but the moose weren't playing and I didn't see a bull,(saw one cow). No complaints against the outfitter as I think they run a quality operation the moose just weren't playing And thats hunting, you never know. He is offering me a discount to go back but I am debating about going later towards the end of October.(starting the 20th) It a quite a bit cheaper hunt. My impression is that if you miss the timing on the rut.... you have just gambled a chunk of change on hitting the right week and if you gamble wrong the hunting isnt that much better. so... my basic question is... If I don't hit the actual rut, am I any worse off to go in Oct?

I understand moose numbers are down all over BC and that may be part of the problem. I really want a moose but do not have the funds to keep doing this over and over. What are everyones thoughts on the best chance of success?