Originally Posted by yukon254
The fact that the outfitter offered you a discount on another hunt tells me you are dealing with a quality operation. I've been guiding professionally for over 30-years now. Heres the deal with moose and the rut.

There are basically three stages to the moose rut. Best times are early in the rut, and again later on. Once the big mature bulls pair up with cows they are extremely hard to call. They get back in the thick stuff and you won't even know they're around.. Best tactic during this period is to get in close, and challenge them. I take moose every year this way but its a lot tougher. Your guide will have to really know the country well to be effective, especially if its bush country.

Although its a bit early I've seen bulls paired up with cows by the first of September. During your hunt from the 19-26th they were certainly paired up. So you were hunting during the toughest part of the rut. Once most of the cows are bred, the big bulls are on the move a lot more and much easier to call. This will start happening by the first of Oct. and sometimes a bit earlier. I bet if you asked you would find out the hunt after yours was successful. The best week in every area I've ever hunted is Oct 1st through about the 9th. Keep in mind outfitters have to sell hunts...when they tell you you are booking a rut hunt when you book earlier, they are right....its just not the most productive part of the rut. I've called bulls as late as the first part of November... but I wouldn't chance going much later than the 15th of Oct. Try to get in on the first part of Oct.

The first part of September can be really good too....right after the bulls have rubbed their velvet off, but before they pair up. This is my favourite time to hunt up high above treeline as you can see those antlers from a long ways off. Good luck!

That's good info, thanks for the write up. I'm headed up Sept 24th through Oct 4th next year, after it got cancelled this year. I was scheduled to do a late hunt this year but got snowed out. Thank god for honest outfitters....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.