I wrote this on another forum recently, but it may help. The recurve bows posted by John Havard above are really good looking bows if you want to go that route. If you want a compound, I highly recommend a Diamond Atomic.

http://diamondarchery.com/atomickids...c-specs-manual

My daughter is 9 and she shoots an Atomic, which goes from 6 to 30 lbs and 12-24 inches I think and you don't need a press to adjust. It is also only 2 lbs. For a small kid, the actual weight of a compound bow can be more problem than the draw weight. Most "youth" bows are 3.5-4 lbs without accessories and a kid simply can't hold them up for more than a few shots. I think PSE makes a small kids compound as well as others, but make sure it is really for a kid and not a teen. A good local pro shop can save you a lot of headache and is the best place to get advice if you don't really know what you are doing.

Many bow models will say they adjust from 5-70 lbs and people buy them thinking they will last forever, but how many people actually shoot the same bow for 20 yrs? If a bow can fit that big of a range of lengths and weights, chances are it doesn't fit any of them well. It will be too big now, and under performing later. Buy a quality kids bow for now and you can resale later and get good money to put into the next one.

I got her first recurve bow for like $30 at Dicks when she was 3, but she grew frustrated with that quick as the arrows would fly all over with no consistency.

She started at 5 with this bow and just turned 9. She didn't even use the sights for the first 2 yrs, but was happier just pointing and shooting, so that's what I let her do.