My 6 year old son just finished a JOAB course. They used a combination of Mathews Genesis and recurve bows, both worked well. He also shot a few days at the course with his Hoyt Ruckus which is what I would recommend. I purchased 2 on ebay new. Usually can find them from $120 to $150 if you keep watching. Got both of mine shipped for $120 each. The other is for my daughter who is 9. These are the non discontinued Hoyt kids bow but seems to be quite a few new ones out there. No press needed to change draw length. We also have an Atomic like others recommended but depending on the size of the child that is more like a 4 to 6 year old kids bow of course dependent on their size. My 6 year olds Ruckus I was able to turn down to around 16 pounds and my 9 year old daughter is pulling 20. These max out closer to 45 pounds so should not outgrow too quick. Plus the bow itself is not too heavy like some I have looked at.

Put a whisker biscuit on it and a 2 or 3 pin sight and they should be good out to 25 yards.