Good post.

Many start, not knowing what they want or need. Getting with a club is key. CAS shooters are about the most generous, helpful, least selfish of all the shooting sports, IMO. They’re big on doing it the “cowboy way”, and they mean it. Great sport, great group, overall. Always an exception but that’s my experience from years as a shooter.

Buying up a bunch of guns is just gonna cost as you swap up. Borrow guns, try different ones.

Pistols: tricked out short stroke Rugers setup to “run like a Colt” are popular. CAS readied clones are another way to go. Those can be bought thru Taylor and other vendors.

Rifles: ‘73 clones, short stroked action jobs are the Cadillac. I personally would avoid ‘94 Winchester’s, those just can’t run with the fast dogs. ‘92’s are better but need a work over by Steve Jones. He’s the ‘92 guru. You can get CAS ready ‘92’s from him. Google him.

IMO, Marlins are ahead of Winchester’s, slightly behind ‘73’s.

Shotguns: I’ve tried them all, you gotta try them to see what’s best for you. Here’s where following the good guys that shoot each type, hear their sales pitch for why they chose their favorite. I’ve had Coyote Cap lever and pump guns. Both take skill and have a learning curve. The double may be the easiest to master, but some may argue with that. I had a Browning worked over by Ole #4 in Oregon. That’s about as slick as I’ve handled. Expensive, not entry level.

Calibers: Beginners often start with .45’s, good choice for BP. A lot of those guys and gals end up with .38 Spec. 12 ga. low powered loads rule.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/13/18.