We have a old 8x32 Leica BA that is still a great glass. It still will be 50 years from now, I imagine. Designated birder and all-around glass to grab. The exit pupil (aperture) of 4 is ok for me. And was mentioned above, if my camp is on my back, the 8x32 is the glass that goes. But there is more alpine behind me than ahead of me. Daughter uses a fantastic 8x32 EL for everything and I suppose I could borrow that for an upgrade...:)

Unfortunately it usually takes me a few months of comparing of peer glass side by side to learn them and decide, so walking into a store for a looksee and picking one didn't work so well. Have found use a place for an 8x32, 8.5x42 and 10x56 on the gear list for binos to be worn. Like chainsaws there is that power to weight ratio to ponder, complicated by view attributes and brightness. FWIW, overall, overtime--an EP around 5 seems to be the most effective combination of power, brightness and weight for 90% of the hunting situations, I enjoy. That puts me into heavier glass for a 10x than I may occasionally want to tote, though I always use a Crooked Horn bino harness, even for the 8x32 walking around at home.

But there is a lot to be said for using only one binocular--you never suffer from knowing what advantages another glass can provide...

Defend the Constitution