Originally Posted by GunReader
I think those impairment tests are a crock of [bleep].

I've had most of the tendons ripped off the outside of both ankles and my knees are as floppy as a slinky. On a flat floor in good shoes or outdoors with high-top boots laced tightly I can walk all day, but I could not balance on one foot for any length of time or walk a straight line heel to toe on the side of a road.

Estimate time? That is also ridiculous. Ever try to snipe an e-bay auction? Your perception of the passage of time will never match the clock ticking away on screen.

Focus your eyes? My left eye is superfluous until my most recent bleeder reabsorbs.

The >only< thing that should justify suspicion of DWI is dashcam evidence.

But as to whether black lives matter: It depends.

In general, the tests are very accurate. Let me qualify that a little. I spent 20 years working for the Coast Guard and conducted quite a few BUI tests in those days. We would issue a comprehensive battery of physical tests followed by an Alco-Sensor test. Each time I would finish the physical battery I would turn to my partner and guess their BAC. In most cases I was within about .02. Off the top of my head there were two times I recall being way off. On man was old and a diabetic. Between his age and his diabetic condition he was in fact impaired but not intoxicated. Another younger guy seemed borderline intoxicated. I reckoned he'd be close, but he was over .20.

Before administering the physical test we'd ask if they were under the care of a doctor, were sick or had any injuries. In your case if you told me you had ripped tendons, I'd skip the balance test and the straight line walk.