[quote=gzig5]I have a very similar rifle, maybe same year. What blueing remains is more green/gray than blue/black. It wouldn't shoot for crap when I got it, about 6" at 50 yds. Running a tight patch through revealed some tight/loose spots. Bore scope showed a lot of transverse tool marks on the lands. Did a fire-lapping sequence with my NECO kit and last time out it was holding 2.5" for five shots @100yds. Manual re-crowning probably helped too. Still some tool marks up towards the muzzle an it copper fouls a bit, but I think I'm calling that aspect of it done. Disassemble and check that the bolt and firing pin are in good shape and haven't been mucked with. They are pretty easy to tear down and there are utube videos to help. One thing to consider is the hammer on these early guns is different than what came later and none of the available hammer extension fit, that I can find. This may be important if you plan to scope it low, as it should be. I'm living with it for now but will be making a custom extension or modifying the hammer. I'll be revinishing the wood, then stoning and rust blueing the metal one of these days. Need to play with stock bedding to see if I can improve the accuracy a little, but it is sufficient as it is now

Uncle Mike's now makes a hammer extension for older Marlins: Marlin® lever actions 1957-1982 #24520.