For big game hunting, I’ve owned rifles in .257 (both the .25-06 and .257 Roy) through.338 (.338 Fed and Win Mag). I’ve had something in every major caliber in between except 8mm. The vast majority of rifles have been 6.5, .277 or 7mm.

If I had to have just one rifle it would more than likely be a 7mm of some sort, perhaps a WSM, SAUM or .280 AI.

I could certainly be talked into a .270 Win or WSM, though.

I guess when I really look hard at it, I’m probably a 6.5 guy more than anything. A great deal of my most memorable shots were made with a 6.5x284 and I have never noticed a lick of difference between the way the 120-140 grain 6.5 bullets kill and the way any other size bullets kill, up to and including premium 250 grain .338s. And with the development of mono metals reaching the heights it has, there really isn’t any non-dangerous game animal that I wouldn’t expect a complete pass through from a TSX, TTSX or LRX 6.5mm bullet fired from an adequate cartridge and rifle.

As I get older and more broken down, recoil and rifle weight mean more and more to me. The 6.5s are really running right in my wheelhouse.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?