I’m looking to buy a new rifle and I am just curious to see what others might recommend for a new caliper. BTW I reload. I currently have a 223 in a Remington VSSF II that shoots great! But I need to buy a couple more rifles. Price isn’t necessarily a concern. I intend to use the new rifle for ground squirrels, jack rabbits and prairie dogs mainly. I’ve thought about a hornet in either 17 or 22. Also have considered a 17 Remington or a Fireball of some sort. I’m sort of leaning towards wanting a lighter rifle to carry a little easier than my VSSF. Not looking to build one. Have been looking at the CZ 527 since I’m real happy with my CZ 453 in 22lr. Don’t like the looks of the magazine but may buy the single round Calhoon mag. Thought about a 527 in a 204 Varmint but it’s very similar to what I already have. Do the hornets or fireballs heat up barrels as much as a 223 or 204 or can they shoot more before needing a break?

Any opinions on what would make for a good second caliber for varmint hunting? Also, I’m interested in bolt action.
Thanks.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.