Thanks guys...I am not comfortable shooting much past 300yds with a small gun, on unwounded game, like the .243, but that's "me", as I've said often I am a very poor judge of the wind "out there". Yeah, up to a 100, maybe 200 "if" I have good indicators I'm pretty fair, but past that, ugh! ha My main thing is how the little round ( and the 6mm Rem) did further out on the lighter stuff. I have no problem head/neck shooting hogs, but deer and such have to be pretty close to me, under 200. I also find that I don't shoot the lighter rifles well enough in the field to be that comfortable past 350, in this case this .243 is in a Sako Forester, what I and others call a "walking varminter" or some such. If I hunted out in the prairie/big open spaces as often as some folks do, then give me a tricked out "Sendero" or similar heavy rifle, but I don't and find I much prefer the "light Sporters". Where I grew up in East Texas I only saw 4 guys who used .243s, 1 bolt gun, 2 BARS and 1 Savage 99E ( horrible spongey trigger!) I saw many, many Mod 742s in 6mm Remington and one old .244 bolt gun. 100gr was the common bullet used. I have read years ago about a writer named Byron Dalrymple who shot and recommended shooting Hill Country deer with the 80gr and high lung shots as the quickest .243 killer. For sure, out West here, there are gobs of .243 factory rounds available!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/16/18.