I believe the 6.5 X 54 NORM means that the cartridge dimensions were "Normalized". I don't know if that was because of CIP or Austrian proof laws. My suspicion is it will depend on the date of proof of the rifle. As with our SAAMI the goal of CIP was to set a standard. The NORM stamp was not uncommon on some German firearms chambered to older cartridges, what I don't know for certain is whether or not Austria ever adopted a similar proof. I've never read of one being adopted by Austria but coming from me that doesn't carry much weight.

If the rifle is decent and worth the money the NORM stamp would not put me off it. As blair mentioned, decent, un-mucked with, early M/S rifles aren't exactly crawling out of the woodwork these days. The 1903 seems to be the one that has suffered the most alterations which I suppose is because it was very popular in the 6.5 cartridge. The 1905, '08 and '10 rifles appear to be more available in their original condition. With them, unless you handload, ammo for a couple of them can be a challenge. I have an '08 and the 8 X 56 M/S ammo from Buffalo Arms, made from 35 Whelen brass, was too hot. I pulled the bullets and took two grains out and it was ok. Not very accurate either but it was a gift from my oldest son and I ended up with some brass....then I decided to make my own from -06 cases.

I like old Mausers but I'd sure hate to have to choose between them and the early M/S rifles. They are sweet. For hunting I'd take either over anything being made today....well, I have.

Last edited by sharps4590; 02/20/18.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing