Was perusing the wares at the Sportsman's Show here in Boise, ID this weekend, and came across a vendor I'd never heard mentioned here on the Campfire (or elsewhere).

They are an Idaho-based company and their carbon fiber frames and bags are both made locally. I spent about 30 minutes talking to the owners of the company, and came away more than a little impressed. They've been operational about three years, and seem to really have their chit together. They know their market, and they know their product. Most impressive to me was their confidence in what they make/sell. I'm always turned off when a manufacturer has to badmouth someone else's product to make theirs seem better...which is what many/most newer companies seem to do. These guys just communicated the features/benefits of what they build and the "why" of it...and let their packs/products speak for itself.

I've used Kifaru, KUIU, Sitka Gear, and a host of others so I have a decent frame of reference to work from. After thoroughly sniffing their stuff over for a while, I put on a pack with about 50-60 pounds in it and stood there with it on for the duration of the conversation. I came away with a strong desire to acquire one of their packs...and soon.

They haven't invented the wheel here or anything, they've just improved upon what's available, built it locally, and made it very affordably priced. They like what they make, and for good reason. Their construction, materials, weight, cost, etc. all made for a very impressive pack/system imho. I don't know these guys personally, they didn't give me anything, and they certainly didn't ask I pitch their wares to anyone. It's just rare I go to one of these shows and come away impressed with anything so I thought I'd pass it along.

Here is a link to their web-site, and a few pictures I took while standing there.... Initial Ascent Packs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of the cooler features they had with their packs was a built in "sling keeper" on the frame itself...

[Linked Image]

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.