Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
I've been using Kuiu rain gear (mostly Chugach NX), on the Rock for the last 6 going on 7 years now and it has worked for me flawlessly. I currently have 3 sets of their rain gear, Chugach NX, Teton, and Yukon and all serve a purpose for the conditions I'm expecting to encounter when I go down there. Last year the Chugach were the only pants I wore for the entire week I spent goat hunting.

So for a typical day late spring bear hunt what would be your layering system? I have never hunted at that time or in Kodiak/Afognak so I would really appreciate the advice of someone that has.

I've never been fortunate enough to draw a spring bear tag, so I've never hunted down there in the spring but I would assume that it's not too much unlike the fall or late fall. My typical layering system is a lighter wt. merino long sleeve shirt, Kuiu Peloton full zip hoodie, Kuiu super down jacket (either the hooded or the pullover), and then the rain gear or upper body. For lower body, I just wear the merino 210 zip off bottoms and my rain pants. If it's really cold I also have a pair of super down pants that I'll wear over the merino pants. Other than just hanging out in camp, I've never had to dress up this much for actual hunting. Once I start hiking (unless it's really cold), I usually overheat really fast if I'm wearing anything more than just the single base layer and the rain gear Hope that helps and good luck on your hunt, I hope you kill a big one. Oh, bring plenty of nice thick socks, so you can always have a clean, dry pair to put on at the end of the day. That's the one thing that I always splurge on when hunting down there.

For those with constantly cold feet and the need for constant sock changes...

Spray your feet with antiperspirant every day for a couple weeks before a big hunt. Bring more in solid scentless form to rub on your feet during the hunt. Your feet will stay MUCH drier, warmer, better smelling, and comfortable...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.