Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have an older Kimber M82 22LR with this designation. The serial number is S303-500. Does this mean they made 500 of these S series rifles? I was told once that this was the fore bearer of the Super America.Is that true? It's a very nice rifle and came with a Leupold 2x-7x rimfire scope. Any information on this is appreciated.

Yes that is true.. They only made 500 in each caliber, 22LR ,22 mag and 22 Hornet. Some were made with iron sights ,some without.

They were the predecessors to the Super America series. They were called "S" models for "Supergrade" but Kimber could not legally use that name because it was already trademarked by Winchester..

I owned one of those rifles that I purchased brand new from the inventory of Kimber Master dealer Tulsa Triumph back in 1982.
The owner brought out all he had from the back which was six rifles.. The boxes were not sealed and had sliding tops so I got to look them all over and pick which rifle I wanted. It was a tough choice because they were ALL beautifully figured stocks. The dealer got a big kick put of watching me agonize over the choice...

The price of admission to buy one? A princely 600 1982 US dollars. The equivilent of about $1,800 today.

It was a nice little gun and about as accurate as any Kimber I owned..

in addition to the info jk16 provided, you may want to PM Mtnboomer as he may have some firsthand feedback from working on the Kimber production floor as the resident beaver.