Originally Posted by Adamjp
When I rebuilt my fathers M70 Featherweight from 257 Roberts to 338-06 I went with a new Lilja barrel. Lilja would not give me the exact same profile as the factory Featherweight as there isn't enough left in the barrel to do the job. I asked for a custom profile, essentially following the contour of the factory Featherweight, but thicker.

It ended up at about .6 at the muzzle for a 22in finished length. A simple inletting job on the stock just got it into the original profile and it is a great handling rifle today.

The Model 70 in question was made in 1981 and is a push feed Model 70.

First photo is as assembled.
Second photo is after I Cerakoted the lot, put a dark stain into the wood with an oil finish, fitted a thicker recoil pad and re-cut the checkering.

That’s a great-looking rifle. Awesome configuration, as well. You’ve given me ideas. :-)

If I rebarreled, I’d be very tempted to go 23” in the .338 Federal, which would make my rifle very close to yours in terms of OAL and it would give the smaller cartridge at least a few more FPS over the 22” barrel. My goal would be to run the 160 TTSX at 3000.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?