Originally Posted by Border Doc

Montana Badger . . . "Case capacity is HUGE!!!"

Yes it is. With modern powders, not as much "overbore" as it used to seem.

The .22 Newton did use necked down 30-06 brass with the shoulder set back, resulting in capacity of 54-55 grains of water/@3.5 cc (vs 68 gr H2O/4.4 cc for 30-06). The .270 Win or 25-06 case might be easier to work with, since they would require fewer steps and less effort in the necking-down procedure, although I like to avoid using cases with a confusing headstamp, if you already own a .270 or 25-06.

The 22 Newton used a .227/.228 bullet, which was the small bore before the .224 became popular. Bullets are a problem for the purist. A .224 Newton could avoid that hurdle. Or your idea of a 6.5-06 is also interesting. Much easier to make the cases and you will have a long-action 6.5/284 equivalent. Cooler than even a Creedmoor.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Originally Posted by Border Doc

Montana Badger . . . "Case capacity is HUGE!!!"

Yes it is. With modern powders, not as much "overbore" as it used to seem.

The .22 Newton did use necked down 30-06 brass with the shoulder set back, resulting in capacity of 54-55 grains of water/@3.5 cc (vs 68 gr H2O/4.4 cc for 30-06). The .270 Win or 25-06 case might be easier to work with, since they would require fewer steps and less effort in the necking-down procedure, although I like to avoid using cases with a confusing headstamp, if you already own a .270 or 25-06.

The 22 Newton used a .227/.228 bullet, which was the small bore before the .224 became popular. Bullets are a problem for the purist. A .224 Newton could avoid that hurdle. Or your idea of a 6.5-06 is also interesting. Much easier to make the cases and you will have a long-action 6.5/284 equivalent. Cooler than even a Creedmoor.

Let us know how your project turns out.

I appreciate the info, but it's not my project.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."