PoconoJack and I ventured to the big city in search of all things Savage, but got side tracked by, well, all things not Savage.

1000 dealer tables full of the most unimaginable temptations known to man.

There were a lot of 1899/99's to be seen from run-of-the-mill EG .300's in so-so condition (generally in the $450 price range) up to and including Joe Salter's MHG for $12K+. The ones in my price range either had condition issues ( 99G 20" 30-30 for $700, but with a pitted bore and much rust at the carry point under the receiver) or didn't suit my mood. There was an 1899B .32-40 carried around by an onlooker, for $1500, pretty fair condition, that got my heart pumping until I looked through the bore.

Ted found a Winchester M54 in .30-30, like mine only better, for an "optimistic" price which he adroitly haggled down to a manageable level- but he then had to lug it around the rest of the time, in a truly thick crowd. I found one of the items I was on the hunt for- a pristine 6X Unertl target scope- for about 2/3 the going ebay rate. Ted's pockets were also stuffed with swag such as saddle rings, and Parker butt plates and grip caps. New friends were made, and old friends were met, all in the setting of one of the biggest and oldest gun shows in the Universe (of antique guns).

As we were leaving Ted asked if I would hold his gun for a minute, and then stole my image with his Secret Squirrel Spy Camera (which I think he got in a box of Count Chocula cereal):

[Linked Image]

Afterward, Maryland lump crab cakes were called for, and consumed while regaling each other with tales of gun dealing prowess. All in all, a day very well spent.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/17/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty