Originally Posted by Andy3
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Originally Posted by 257wby
My beef with is with fish and game for giving bow hunters such a big advantage.

Didn't watch the video, only saw the image. If that is Colorado, that isn't a bow hunter, that's a poacher with a crossbow.

And what big advantage do bowhunters get? Isn't easy getting within bow range. I see far more game bowhunting, but see is the key word. A big advantage would be sniping a deer from 800-1200 yards away like you see in many videos these days.

Big bow hunting advantages? How about hunting the rut (midwest deer, and western elk hunts), whereas rifle hunts occur post rut, unless you draw a rifle rut hunt, at VERY long odds. Unlimited over the counter tags for elk, when they are draw only for rifle (many/most units here in Idaho). Longer hunt duration than rifle, as a rule.

If you look at the success percentages, most elk hunt areas in Idaho are very similar, comparing archery to rifle....roughly 1:8 on general hunts. Rifle success IS much higher on draw hunts.

Not many archery hunters want to hunt bull elk in November.

I do agree with the sniping at 800-1200 yards, with a rifle. But the same is true with archery hunters, but with the 10x factor......800-1200 yds with a rifle roughly equates 80-120 yds with a bow. Plenty of bad "ethics" to go around.

The way I see it....When it comes to "hunting" advantages, bow hunters have more. When it comes to "killing" advantages, rifle hunters have more.

BTW, the last 6x6 I killed had a 125 gr muzzy sticking out of his back. A 200 grain accubond pill made the hurt go away!

Andy3

Even with the rut in some areas and longer seasons, it's still much harder than hunting with a rifle. And even if you can get in range, it might not be enough. This past elk season I had elk within bow range six times in the last four days, including a big herd bull. Due to vegetation I wasn't comfortable taking a shot, just not big enough openings. With a rifle I could have killed an elk every single time.

If rifle hunters had the same seasons it would be a slaughter. If you want to hunt those seasons, pick up a bow and enjoy. I see a lot more game, but dont have as much success. I do have more fun though