I've analysed my field shooting performance and have decided I don't need to shoot further, just more accurately and more consistantly at the ranges I currently shoot at. In effect I need to be able to shoot slightly better than 1.5moa out to 275yards. The positions I use are from a stand with a shooting rail, prone over pack, kneeling with sticks and elbow on knee or pack very occasionally sitting and standing with sticks and elbow supported or unsupported. I use cross or quad sticks and I'm much more fussy about shot angles and placement.

I now almost exclusively hunt with a supressed stainless sporter M700 in a Macmillan mountain stock with a minimum of 8x50mm scope in low 30mm talley rings with accurate and quite flat shooting loads (243 and 7-08). I don't use turrets but aim off.

In effect I need to move from killing to specific bullet placement. I've started carrying my range finder in my pocket instead of my pack and have memorised my drops better.

My friends are of the opinion that I should consider turrets and/or a more vertical grip stock with adjustable cheek piece.

I don't think I have an issue with cheek weld. I have a long jaw which seems to me to sit well and repeatably on the stock. I would like a more vertical grip but not necessarily enough to spend on a game scout at this point.

I don't like the idea of turrets because my rifle is pretty flat shooting and I often shoot multiples where deer run about and stop momentarily at varying ranges. I would consider a TDS system but all now seem to be on second focal plane scopes which I cannot operate.

So the plan is - greater accuracy in ranging and matching drops to range and to practice more with what I have.

Unless you tell me a game scout/warden and PMII will magically improve my shooting grin

Last edited by OttoG; 03/22/18.