Originally Posted by Brad
I've seen more elk killed with the 270/130 combo than any other single rifle/bullet combo. All were standard cup and core's. One time I went up to our place and the game warden, who had been culling elk out of the hay meadow, was loading the last of the six elk he had just shot into the truck. Yup, 270/130.

I doubt he read "ballistic tables."

I know of a firm which is hired out to kill whitetails. They use .338 win mags w/250 grain bullets as the don't want the animals to leave the property. They claim those whitetails don't even twitch. Haven't tried it myself but maybe one day I'll take old maggy out whitetail hunting.

I'm willing to bet that most 270's shoot 130 grain bullets better than they do 150 grain. Might be why you see those 270/130 combo.

Don't read or no anything about bullet drop or wind pushing bullets. If you have a chronograph and know bullet speed using ballistics charts give you a good basis as to bullet drop and windage. Those two things are pretty important to me. Then get out there and test that information. Shoot shoot and shoot some more. wink