Originally Posted by tipmover
Thank 's Okanagan! Those are some great pointers.

You are welcome. Thank you for the good words.

On thinking more about calling bears, a problem is that in heavy cover it is often hard to tell the size of a sneaky bear that comes to a call. We've had that problem in brushy Saskatchewan forest and in Vancouver Island brush. Also, it is hard to see a small cub if a sow with a young cub comes to the call.

For these reasons most of my bear hunting is by spot and stalk. I always have a call along and use it more to position a bear for a shot, get one to stop moving and stand still for a good shot, or call one that we have chosen to shoot close enough for a shot. I don't do much cold calling for bears, though have done it and called in bears. I prefer to call a specific bear if possible, either one we can see, have seen, one working on a specific food plot or carcass, or at least one that has left multiple BIG fresh sign in a small area.

One more pic: a friend and I who came along to fish were camped with some bear hunting buddies. The two of us codger fishermen kept camp, cooked, fished, and decided to go to town one noon. The bear below was 350 yards off of the logging road. My friend has killed big bears, some over 7 feet. We watched this bear for awhile and decided it was a HOG. It was stalkable with a little thigh deep wading. Then we drove on to town.

[Linked Image]

Y'all are a bad influence. I over focus and you have me thinking about bears instead of prepping for a business appointment today. blush

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/03/18. Reason: pic added