Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by 65BR
I have had various Pfluegers, and later p/u some Shimano's. No issues with either. Most are the smaller ones I use for freshwater.

What fish are you targeting?

Cat’s mostly. Redfish secondary.

On Cat's - assume freshwater, those really large fish you want a 3000 or larger reel, and I'd use braid. On Redfish, a Penn Battle, 3000 as would a few of the mid priced Shimano's will do great. You will be casting often, so reel weight IMHO matters alot, I want LIGHT, but enough reel for the job. The Penn might be heavier than others, a Shimano is often lighter, and the more you pay the lighter you can get. Reel balance depends on the rod you put it on.....regarding the comment above.

I'd buy a cheap Pflueger President in 40 size but no smaller than 35 for Cats. You can swap reels for chasing Reds, but I might just have a less expensive albeit medium heavy to heavy action rod for the cats. The Redfish you probably want a Medium on the light end, but a Medium heavy might be best if you are throwing heavier baits and often hooking larger fish.

Talk to the guys at the counter at your local tackle stores for some of their input as well. I'd go as light weight a set up on the Redfish gear since you will cast often, but you need strong / stout enough rod and reel for the bigger ones as they do fight hard as you know.

Good fishing!