Having watched this topic for 30 years or so, state-of-the-art now is Jetboil, then everything else. Most find their upsides better than their downsides. But anyone who thinks they perform at 0 degrees like they do at 50 degrees has an unpleasant physics lesson coming. Is this a deal-killer? No, but it makes a dif. Some may be willing to sleep with a cold-assed fuel cannister in the bag. I am not one, though I have done it. My own go-to stove is a JetBoil. As for the cost of the fuel, by the time one gets in the woods so much has been spent for the entire experience that the actual cost of the canister is meaningless.

Best way is to have two hikers share the load, and not double up on the stove. In AZ, we have to carry so much water, or sacrifice so much distance, strategies like that make a lot of difference. Have never packed in once in AZ where there was drinking water at my end camp that did not come out of my own pack. Not saying it is impossible, but that's how it plays out.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill