Originally Posted by bobmn
Google freezer bag cooking. Book "Freezer Bag Cooking" by Sarah Svien has great recipes. Save the cost of freeze dried meals. Everything you need is in the grocery store if you are are not concerned about long term storage.

Don't have the book but I don't get real fancy with cooking. The majority of my hiking is on the App trail and I resupply from grocery stores in trail towns. Instant potatoes and "Knorr pasta sides" combined with Tuna in flexi pouches are pretty much the gold standard for availability. Red chili powder and Mrs. Dash to make things edible. It's not good, not even up to MRE standards, way below Mountain House etc. The noodles are always going to be undercooked and chewy and there's only so many flavors. I repackage the Knorrs into the freezer bags before leaving town. Some people make their own freeze dried meals and mail them ahead for pickup at post offices. It helps to put the freezer bag meal in some sort of insulator while it's preparing, pretty much a hot/cold bag you'd get from a grocery store, a beer coozie, or your sleeping pad if you use a foam pad. Perks of this setup are you don't have to eat where you cook (or sleep) and your stationary cooking time only consists of the time it takes to boil water.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 07/28/18.