I have 375 Rugers with 20 and 23.5" barrels. I like the handiness of the 20" in tight quarters and on 4-wheelers and in Argo type vehicles. I also have a 416 Ruger with a 20" barrel, it is one of my favorite rifles. I am having a 375 H&H M70 stainless cut to 22". I have one in 416 Rem with a 22" barrel that I also really like. In the past, I have had a 21" 375 H&H and currently have a 20". I have no qualms with the shorter barrels.
I have not fired the 20" 375 H&H, but did shoot the 21" quiet a bit. I have been using the 20" 375 Ruger for several years as my moose rifle. I have a couple of 45-70's with 20" barrels also. I like the 20-22" lengths in the larger bores. The 22" is my default choice, if I am having a mental debate on the decision.

Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Hello gentlemen,

I am sort of a rookie with the “big bores” I currently have one 375HH and another one on its way to me. My current rifle is a weatherby vanguard dangerous game rifle, it has a bell and Carlson stock, NECG iron sights and I recently installed a timney trigger, the way it’s set up now, it has Talley bases and quick release rings with a leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 scope.

I’ve taken a grizzly with it as well as a nice caribou but I’d like to make the package a bit more compact for when I’m hunting in thicker brush and for when I’m cruising around on my snow machine or atv and going through areas with low branches.

The gun right now has a 24” barrel and what I’d like to do is hack of 4” and have the iron sight re-installed. This would basically complete the package and at that point, there’s nothing else I’d like to do to this rifle.

I see that ruger offered guns in 375 ruger with 20” barrels so it seems like this should be ok with the HH or am I missing something? Have any of you got a 20” 375 HH? Any compelling reason not to do it? It would also be nice to not need a new hardcase if I want to fly with this thing, it won’t fit in any of my current hard cases but would if I shortened the barrel.

Thank you!

Last edited by ldmay375; 04/13/18. Reason: Additional comments